April 8th, 2020
|12:52 pm - My Fiction, A List|
I feel some measure of organisation is in order and thus I give to you a list, to be updated whenever I write something new. Well, that's the plan anyway.
It strikes me also that you could just use my tags, which I'm pretty good with. Some useful ones may include:
The 2009 film
Sherlock Holmes (book related fic)
You can find the rest of my tags here: All tags
And now on to the list:
( DrabblesCollapse )
( Stand alonesCollapse )
( Two-or-more partersCollapse )
( WingficCollapse )
( ArtCollapse )
Just a note in case it's not clear: this is mostly Sherlock Holmes fanfic and features, for the most part, Holmes/Watson in one way or another. Other pairings do appear from time to time. Consider yourselves warned/enticed (delete as appropriate).
Let me know if you spot a link that doesn't work, or if you can't find something; I'm always happy to help more people read my fic ;)
Current Music: The Defaced - The Fading Suns | Powered by Last.fm
March 27th, 2016
|03:33 pm - Dogs dogs and more dogs|
This has been a very good weekend for dogs so far. We took Odin to the river trails and met SO MANY dogs.
They were all adorable.
There was an 8 month old Great Dane puppy who was bouncing all over the place. I wanted to pet him but he was far more interested in playing with Odin (who wasn't quite sure why there was a dog around who was bigger than him, but ultimately went along with it). We also said hi to a 13 year old Golden Retriever who was basically a super soft teddy bear, she was so cute. I liked her owners, too. They were very taken with Odin and wanted to give him a treat, but they asked us first and when we said no because Odin has a few possessiveness issues (we're working on it), they were just fine with that. It's nice to meet responsible dog owners!
My favourite was a little bitty dog that was some kind of pitbull, I think, but very much on the small side. The first thing he did when he saw Odin was roll over and give in XD But he was SO affectionate with me - he jumped up and gave kisses and wriggled around to be petted :D As we walked away, A. said "You just got full-body hugged by a dog." Yep. I did. It was great :D
( Cosmetic surgery on dogsCollapse )
There's also an awesome dog around our neighbourhood we've met a few times, whose name is K.D. (or Kadie, or Kaden, we're not quite sure) and who *loves* Odin. He gets super bouncy when he sees us, so we walked together for a bit and both dogs were very happy :D
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/13092.html. Comments either there or here are good!
February 1st, 2016
|01:10 pm - A question for pet owners|
Or rather, a series of related questions, mostly aimed at dog and cat owners but others are welcome to respond too:
Do you enjoy petting other dogs and cats that you meet?
Do you/would you actively pursue meeting other cats/dogs - i.e., at friends' houses, dog parks, pet stores?
If yes/no, why?!
( Context below the cutCollapse )
Please adapt this question accordingly if you own a lizard/gerbil/fish/any other pet!
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/12603.html. Comments either there or here are good!
May 15th, 2015
|09:36 am - Alternate Methods of Transport|
I bought a bike! It is awesome :D
I haven't ridden a bike in ages and even when I did it was just on weekends down the river trails, so not exactly anything consistent. I'd forgotten how much fun it is! I've discovered bike paths which follow the path of the river, and you can build up some nice speed on them as there's no point you need to stop.
I did this today and now my legs are kind of tired XD
And it is *so much* quicker than taking the bus. The buses here are fine during the semester but their summer schedule means buses are few and far between, and packed with the students who are still here over summer. It's incredibly annoying.
The other reason it's nice is because I haven't been out and about as much here as I would have liked, partly because I've been so busy that all I want to do on weekends is sit down and relax, and partly because winter here doesn't lend itself too well to long stretches outside (at least not for newcomers who are still getting used to the cold and the appropriate precautions). I'm really enjoying getting some sunshine on my bike rides, and getting some exercise. It helps me sleep better and feel less restless.
Plus, as soon as I build up some leg muscles, I can go for longer rides on the weekend and see more of the river trails and the city :D
But oh my gosh I am SO TIRED this week XD So much exercise that I'm unaccustomed to!
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/11464.html. Comments either there or here are good!
December 17th, 2014
|12:09 pm - Staying at home|
Apparently I have strep throat, which rather nicely explains all of my symptoms.
The doctor gave me antibiotics (he said there's very little point waiting for the swab results to come back) and told me to check the work policy on going in to the lab while I'm ill.
My labmates looked up how contagious it is, and asked me to "Please go home". They told me they still loved me though, and hoped I got better soon.
I feel OK today, although worse now after my trip in to uni to see the doctor. I guess I'll have a look at Steam and see what games I feel like playing.
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/10206.html. Comments either there or here are good!
October 3rd, 2014
|11:16 am - Fridays are pretty good|
I am the only one in the lab. Other graduate student (we'll call him 'S'), has e-mailed me with instructions to get the spectrometer and laser running, and start pumping water through our capillary. I have done these things. He is still not here. I would like him to be here, an empty lab is strange, also I don't want the syringe to run out of water or the capillary to block.
Lab reports remain awful to grade. Come on, students, PARAGRAPHS. (I did just grade two that were fine, they got an A and an A-, I'm just grumbling slightly.)
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/9648.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 14th, 2014
|09:18 am - Positivity Meme Day 5|
1) My landlady and I bought a giant whole fish together when we went grocery shopping. She showed me how to prepare it and cook it on the barbecue. She also provided potatoes and carrots from her garden to go with it, which she then cooked. All I had to do was eat, and she is an *excellent* cook. I did the dishes afterwards to make it sort of fair, but I definitely got the best deal out of that.
2) Skype behaved itself very well yesterday and only interrupted my conversation, oh, five or six times. It did bring the call back every time though. Good job, Skype.
3) I get to do yard work in exchange for money off the rent! Seeing as I like to be active in my downtime, this is good on lots of levels.
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/9044.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 12th, 2014
|05:56 pm - Positivity Meme Days 3 and 4|
Ooops, I missed a day. I was distracted by a positive thing though!
1) My electrodynamics class was cancelled because the prof is away, so I got to spend the afternoon hanging out in the lab.
2) I have claimed a desk in my office and met one of the other Master's students who has a desk there. He seems nice.
3) I got to play with equipment, and mix chemicals, and do cool things with the experiment that I'm observing.
1) I stayed in bed until 8am, it was wonderful.
2) My supervisor said "If you're getting a bike, let me know beforehand. I've got four bikes - a winter one, a summer one, an off-road one, and a mountain bike. I know quite a bit about them." He's great :D
3) I got to come home early. It's Friday!
And now I have electrodynamics homework to start, and am wondering why I thought it was a good idea to take this course XD
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/8872.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 10th, 2014
|08:51 pm - Positivity Meme Day 2|
Following Sea's example and doing this for each of the 5 days.
1) It's my birthday! My new earphones arrived, along with a surprise birthday parcel :D
2) I've been nominated for a scholarship that involves a rather significant sum of money. Like, holy crap, MONEY. Cross your fingers folks! (I won't get it, it's university-wide, but I'm hopeful anyway XD)
3) My brain did not explode when I got a crash-course on all things experimental, code-based, and analysis based from the graduate student today.
(I need a better way of referring to the people I work with. We are all graduate students.)
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/8541.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 9th, 2014
|08:46 pm - Positivity Meme|
seascribe tagged me in a thing!
During the next five days, post three positive things about your day and ask three people to do the same so the positive attitude can gain some ground.
1) I helped the members of my research group replace our missing ceiling tiles. There was much laughter and messing around, and it was an excellent bonding experience.
2) A guy who is in both of my classes appears to be friendly and willing to talk to me, and reassure me that being a TA will be fine.
3) A positive from yesterday: I was a TA for six whole hours yesterday, once at 0800 and once at 1400, all by myself in a lab with 25 students. Nothing went wrong! I didn't stumble over my words, they all listened to me, they did their work, and some of them were very appreciative of my help. It was not nearly as terrifying as I expected!
I'm supposed to ask three people. Do more than three of you follow me on here? I am not sure XD Anyone who sees this should feel free to do it!
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/8273.html. Comments either there or here are good!