April 8th, 2020
|12:52 pm - My Fiction, A List|
I feel some measure of organisation is in order and thus I give to you a list, to be updated whenever I write something new. Well, that's the plan anyway.
It strikes me also that you could just use my tags, which I'm pretty good with. Some useful ones may include:
The 2009 film
Sherlock Holmes (book related fic)
You can find the rest of my tags here: All tags
And now on to the list:
( DrabblesCollapse )
( Stand alonesCollapse )
( Two-or-more partersCollapse )
( WingficCollapse )
( ArtCollapse )
Just a note in case it's not clear: this is mostly Sherlock Holmes fanfic and features, for the most part, Holmes/Watson in one way or another. Other pairings do appear from time to time. Consider yourselves warned/enticed (delete as appropriate).
Let me know if you spot a link that doesn't work, or if you can't find something; I'm always happy to help more people read my fic ;)
Current Music: The Defaced - The Fading Suns | Powered by Last.fm
October 3rd, 2014
|11:16 am - Fridays are pretty good|
I am the only one in the lab. Other graduate student (we'll call him 'S'), has e-mailed me with instructions to get the spectrometer and laser running, and start pumping water through our capillary. I have done these things. He is still not here. I would like him to be here, an empty lab is strange, also I don't want the syringe to run out of water or the capillary to block.
Lab reports remain awful to grade. Come on, students, PARAGRAPHS. (I did just grade two that were fine, they got an A and an A-, I'm just grumbling slightly.)
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/9648.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 14th, 2014
|09:18 am - Positivity Meme Day 5|
1) My landlady and I bought a giant whole fish together when we went grocery shopping. She showed me how to prepare it and cook it on the barbecue. She also provided potatoes and carrots from her garden to go with it, which she then cooked. All I had to do was eat, and she is an *excellent* cook. I did the dishes afterwards to make it sort of fair, but I definitely got the best deal out of that.
2) Skype behaved itself very well yesterday and only interrupted my conversation, oh, five or six times. It did bring the call back every time though. Good job, Skype.
3) I get to do yard work in exchange for money off the rent! Seeing as I like to be active in my downtime, this is good on lots of levels.
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/9044.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 12th, 2014
|05:56 pm - Positivity Meme Days 3 and 4|
Ooops, I missed a day. I was distracted by a positive thing though!
1) My electrodynamics class was cancelled because the prof is away, so I got to spend the afternoon hanging out in the lab.
2) I have claimed a desk in my office and met one of the other Master's students who has a desk there. He seems nice.
3) I got to play with equipment, and mix chemicals, and do cool things with the experiment that I'm observing.
1) I stayed in bed until 8am, it was wonderful.
2) My supervisor said "If you're getting a bike, let me know beforehand. I've got four bikes - a winter one, a summer one, an off-road one, and a mountain bike. I know quite a bit about them." He's great :D
3) I got to come home early. It's Friday!
And now I have electrodynamics homework to start, and am wondering why I thought it was a good idea to take this course XD
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/8872.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 10th, 2014
|08:51 pm - Positivity Meme Day 2|
Following Sea's example and doing this for each of the 5 days.
1) It's my birthday! My new earphones arrived, along with a surprise birthday parcel :D
2) I've been nominated for a scholarship that involves a rather significant sum of money. Like, holy crap, MONEY. Cross your fingers folks! (I won't get it, it's university-wide, but I'm hopeful anyway XD)
3) My brain did not explode when I got a crash-course on all things experimental, code-based, and analysis based from the graduate student today.
(I need a better way of referring to the people I work with. We are all graduate students.)
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/8541.html. Comments either there or here are good!
September 9th, 2014
|08:46 pm - Positivity Meme|
seascribe tagged me in a thing!
During the next five days, post three positive things about your day and ask three people to do the same so the positive attitude can gain some ground.
1) I helped the members of my research group replace our missing ceiling tiles. There was much laughter and messing around, and it was an excellent bonding experience.
2) A guy who is in both of my classes appears to be friendly and willing to talk to me, and reassure me that being a TA will be fine.
3) A positive from yesterday: I was a TA for six whole hours yesterday, once at 0800 and once at 1400, all by myself in a lab with 25 students. Nothing went wrong! I didn't stumble over my words, they all listened to me, they did their work, and some of them were very appreciative of my help. It was not nearly as terrifying as I expected!
I'm supposed to ask three people. Do more than three of you follow me on here? I am not sure XD Anyone who sees this should feel free to do it!
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/8273.html. Comments either there or here are good!
July 29th, 2014
|07:23 pm - Kentwell Hall|
Mum had a day off on Monday so we went to Suffolk, to Kentwell Hall. It's an old Tudor mansion, now a stately home, and has been very nicely restored by the family who now own it. Their grounds and rare breeds farm are my favourite parts though. We had a good wander around and had the place pretty much to ourselves. It's pretty quiet when they're not doing their Tudor Recreation days so there were all sorts of doors open that wouldn't normally be.
Their rare breeds farm has pigs, sheep, goats, donkeys, chickens, and horses. The last time we went - when I was quite a bit younger - the horses were in stables near the house and you could go and stroke them. They have Suffolk Punches, which are big sturdy horses, and I loved them.
Unfortunately (for me) the horses were out in fields this time. Which makes sense - it wouldn't be good for them to be inside all day just in case a visitor wants to stroke them! We did walk out to one of the fields though, and a couple of them came over to see me. They were disinterested when they realised I didn't have food, but I was happy to see them up close.
( Pictures of all the cool animals!Collapse )
There are more pictures here: http://traveling-sproid.tumblr.com/tagged/suffolk if anyone is interested!
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/7978.html. Comments either there or here are good!
July 23rd, 2014
|08:55 pm - Graduation day!|
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/7491.html. Comments either there or here are good!
In which I did not attend the graduation ceremony (£40 to rent robes for two hours, do you think I am made of money?) but went to the Physics Graduation Reception and Prizegiving, and had a really nice day. We started the day with brother #3 taking photos of Mum and I all dressed up before we left, which was fine, and the door blowing shut behind us, which was not so fine because our keys were inside. We had to wake brother #1 up to let us back in. Oops.
Most of my friends, along with a decent number of lecturers, were at the reception/prizegiving event. Everyone had their robes on or were in suits - apart from the lecturers who had obviously just left their offices and wandered over. But overall, people were dressed up and having fun.
Several people made nice comments about my outfit! The head of fourth year turned up in his robes, and I told him he looked very smart; he told me that I dressed up nicely as well, ‘very different from your usual outfit’. (Jeans and a t-shirt.) Apparently, according to someone else, my waistcoat is ‘spiffy’.
The two friends I really wanted to hang out with were there, which was great. We got photos together; I’m happy. Lots of other people said hi, too! It was a nice opportunity to say goodbye to the people I know, and to find out what everyone is doing after graduation.
The prizegiving part was done really nicely, even thought the poor head of department was practically melting on the stand. It wasn’t that formal, there were no bright lights and not a proper stage, but it was obviously warm up there.
There was lots of clapping for everyone, and also whistles and cheers when I went up to collect my prize. It was a hell of a good feeling. The physics group are a great bunch of people, and I regret not getting to know all of them until this year. They’re nothing but supportive, even though I don’t hang out with them that often, and I’ll miss being around them. Everyone is heading different places though, so that’s it!
Mum and I wandered into town afterwards, watched some amazing street drummers who drew a huge crowd, and then headed back.
So, I’ve properly said goodbye to Sheffield and my friends now. Things feel like they are done there. Sorted. Time to move on. University finished!
April 29th, 2014
|10:28 pm - Xena fic: At Your Side, Xena/Gabrielle [Teen]|
Title: At Your Side
Word Count: 2600
Summary: Post ‘A Friend in Need’ (with spoilers for that episode). Egypt has need of a girl with a chakram, but after she’s been there a while, Gabrielle thinks they got sent the wrong one.
Author’s notes: I suspect it’s pretty common to need to write fic after watching the series finale. It’s probably been done before, but this is my contribution.
Fic at AO3
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/7153.html. Comments either there or here are good!
April 16th, 2014
|04:38 pm - Xena fic: A Hand in the Dark, Gabrielle/Xena [Adult]|
Title: A Hand in the Dark
Word Count: 8300
Summary: Post "Is There a Doctor in the House?", Gabrielle is battered and bruised, and Xena's having nightmares.
Author's notes: Thank you linguini17 for the beta!
Gabrielle drifted off to the sound of a chuckle, and a hand stroking softly over her hair, and woke in the moonlight to Xena shaking her by the arms, leaning over her and telling her desperately to wake up.
“Thank the gods,” Xena breathed, and clutched her so close that she had trouble breathing for a moment.
( Read more...Collapse )
This entry was originally posted at http://sproid.dreamwidth.org/6657.html. Comments either there or here are good!